Moonlit Knight Is Now A DotCom

Buying MoonlitKnight.com

Today I took the major step of buying the domain name moonlitknight.com – not for the first time admitedly, I had it years ago but because of circumstances let it lapse.

I was originally going to buy it from 1&1 Internet as £6.99 for the first year and then £9.99 annually seemed to be a good bargain and it has a UK presence. Midway in the registration process though I hit a snag – it would not accept my mobile number and I have not got a landline.

Next on my list was Go Daddy.com which had an even better offer, £6.74 for the first year – so I went for that and the signup was a doddle. They even threw in moonlitknight.info for free, although I am not sure what to do with it at the moment.

I was very impressed with the speed between confirmation of purchase and being able manage my domains. The domain manager itself is reasonably easy to use and it wasn’t  long before I had used domain forwarding to point moonlitknight.com to my website.

Changing Hosts

OK, so far so good. The only trouble is that domain forwarding, used mainly if you have variations on the same domain name but want them to point to the same website, still shows the original url. Call me vain but I wanted to see moonlitknight.com in the address bar.

Domain masking is one option but, because it uses a frameset it has the disadvantage that it breaks the link between content and a URL, making it difficult to link to or bookmark a page within the frameset. Search engines will also see two websites with duplicate content – not good.

Being a poor knight errant I am hosted free at bplaced.net but unfortunately, although it has been good in every other respect, there is no access to their nameservers. Luckily for me I also had an account with another free host that did. heliohost.org

(To Be Continued)

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *